1.1.14

Just be Chloe Sevigny.


Chloe Sevigny is not an it girl.
She's an actress, but you'd never know it. I'm sorry, but you wouldn't.
I like her, I really do. I like her opening ceremony line, the unisex ethos behind it, and i really really love the way she dresses, but i have not seen a single one of her films. In fact, I hadn't even heard her talk until her 3 part closet tour was published on Vimeo. All chopped unfussy hair cut, and self-depreciating deep-voiced confidence, she was exactly how I imagined her.
She is, (I garnered in the ten minutes she walks us through her really cool house) exactly how she dresses.
I don't mean that as an insult. I'm sure she is much more than clunky shoes, tent dresses and over sized jackets, but for someone who in recent years has become a somewhat indie darling, maintaining popularity through her unique style aesthetic, she is true to the thing that has served her well.

 I hate brandishing people with anonymous qualities, admiring indeterminable talents that cant be described or pinned down, but Chloe really does just have it.The ability to make 3,000 dollar dresses look like they have been hanging in her closet for years, the attitude that makes entire runway looks, look like something chucked on minutes before leaving the house.
 Maybe its New York (see Harley Viera Newton), maybe its excellent pins (see Alexa Chung) or maybe its just Chloe.

It seems to be culturally accepted, that she is not conventionally beautiful, though I don't agree with that. What is conventional? What is beautiful? They're arbitrary terms, but I digress.
But maybe it is an offishness, an imperfection, that makes her ensembles feel so wearable but equally entirely her own, and only her own..
Whatever it is, it works, and it works well. So well, that people forget her indie filmography, her golden globe win and her oscar nomination.
Chloe Sevigny is really good at getting dressed.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment